I have recently had a number of clients come to me after having a bad experience with another stylist. Here are a few things that stand out to me as important steps toward getting the hair you want. And it all starts with communication.
1) Schedule an appointment with a stylist someone has recommended; preferably someone with GREAT HAIR. New to the area? Visit Yelp or other reviews so you aren’t going in blind.
2) Every stylist should begin your appointment with dialog about your hair. Even if you’re shy…please ENGAGE! Share with them any concerns you may have about your hair, its overall condition, and especially, talk about how you want your hair cut, colored, and styled.
3) Whip out the PHOTOS. Stylists are visual artists so pictures speak a thousand words to us. Try hard to find pictures of celebs or random people who have hair similar to yours in fullness and texture or desired color (if it’s a color service). Be open to reality or a change-up if need be. Trust us.
4) SPEAK UP in the middle of a service if things are taking an ‘unusual turn’. You wanted a lot more off the overall length, you wanted more face-framing, shorter bangs? Say it. Nicely, of course. You are making an investment. When we hand you a mirror to see our finished work, you need to communicate with us. We’re not afraid of you asking for another snip here or there. And nothing beats our client saying “Yes! This is just what I wanted!”. We kinda love that.
5) Re-book and share your positive experiences. There is just no greater compliment to a stylist. Blab to your friends about why you like this stylist. Who doesn’t talk about a good hair day?